Saturday, August 9, 2008

From the heart of a Lions

It has been seven years plus that I'm in the Lions Club. I remember I was introduced and invited to a Lions Club meeting by Audrey Wee, my ex-colleague. I had always wanted to contribute to the less-fortunate especially. I could not do it by digging from my own pocket often. At that time, our mother club, Lions Club of Kuching City was chartering a new Lions Club, the New Century Lions Club, meant for those between 18-35 years of age but with no less in its aim & purpose than any other Lions Club. So I thought, "I'm able to contribute my effort & a fair bit of my time instead, why not I join?" There I am, the Charter Member of the New Century Lions Club of Kuching Emerald, chartered on 21st May 2001.

Being in the Club alone, I get to know all sorts of people. The "sot-sot", "lo-lo", "play-play" etc. Ermm, you name it? Guyzz, you know who you are, lah hor? Heheh..
Being in among the many Lions Clubs, I think I'm like a small ant then. Oh dear! My weakness shines here. I'm not the sociable, outgoing type of person. Yeah, I don't know how to start a conversation. Even if i start one, it could be a boring one. So bear with me, hor?

** Specially to all Presidents, Secretaries, Treasurers, DCs, ZCs who are reading this! Sorry if I don't recognize your positions in the clubs. Till today, I'm still finding it hard.

To me, joining Lions Club is like killing two birds with one stone. Why do I say so?

  • I've never organized any events until I join the club. This is something new to me. This is where leadership skill is crafted boh. I could be a potential leader of tomorrow (** in my dream???)
  • I don't know how to prepare accounts. Ok ok..I admit, I did learn during school times. But that was how many years back lah (hehe...finding excuse). My Maths & Accounts sucks big time. But then, at least I'm re-learning now lor.
  • Preparing minutes/reports! Yikes! I'm no stenographer. Everyone has its first time though. Ermm..even if it's not the first time, it's never too late to learn. And oh...I'm learning & struggling here lar..arrghh!

So you see...apart from contributing to the community, I'm "trained" and I learn to do administrative work. Nifty, huh?

And now, the Oscars moment: I'd like to thank Audrey, especially..for bringing me into the world of Lionisms. Life has been exciting since then! Fellow members, yes, all of the Lions out there..for your guidances & helps in all ways.

Together, We Serve!

Yours in Lionism,
SC

**N/B: Please excuse my English... :p

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very inspiring post thanks SC! (at least i'm guessing its SC :)